To start a residential painting business and be successful, you need to focus on advertising. You will want to do many things with your marketing including logo design, vinyl graphics for your truck, and employee shirts with your company name on them.
Here are 10 quick tips that I have learned from working in the industry for almost 10 years!
Offer a free estimate
One great way to generate new business is to offer a free estimate. Make sure you have some pricing information on hand so prospects can see what the price ranges are for different services and jobs, but offer to come out and give them a free estimate as well. Again, this can help you generate new business.
This tip might seem obvious, but it really does pay off in more ways than one.
This will allow you to talk about your business and what it offers, while also giving them a chance to learn more before committing.
Design a memorable logo
Probably the most important thing you can do for your business is to design a memorable logo. Your company’s name should be prominently displayed in the icon or image you choose, and it should also match what other elements of your branding have been established already.
Here are some guidelines to follow when designing your logo:
- The company name should be prominently displayed in the icon or image you choose.
- Stay away from generic design elements, such as gradients and clipart.
- Your logo will ideally reflect the style of what you do for a living – if it’s not obvious how painting is incorporated into your business’ branding, then consider using something else!
- Consider incorporating a symbol that represents what your brand stands for – this could come in handy later on down the road if you want to incorporate more than one service/product line (or other variations) with different logos into your marketing materials.
- Remember that every little detail matters – including font type, color, and size.
- Ensure that your logo’s colors work well with the rest of your branding elements if they will be included in marketing materials, such as text headers or backgrounds.
- Avoid using a closeup photo of your hand painting something – it typically doesn’t translate well into logos…unless you’re an artist? However, some Internet research might be worth seeing what others have done for their business’ logos!
Create a website with a portfolio of work
You want to have a website so that people can find you online. Make sure your site has plenty of pictures and video clips showing the quality of your work. Include social media links on every page too, so that they are easy to share with others!
It is also important for potential customers to know about any certifications related, whether from painting suppliers like Sherwin Williams or trade organizations such as the EPA’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) certification program.
Make sure you have good before and after pictures. Photos are so important to advertising your business these days, especially when people will be looking on their phones for a contractor online. You want them to see what they can expect from hiring you!
It’s also worth noting that a clear call to action (CTA) si important because you want potential customers to know what you offer. You can do this through your website, phone number, email address or mailing address in an easily visible but unobtrusive location on each page. Make sure it is easy for prospects to find!
Advertise on social media
Facebook , Instagram, and Twitter are the best places to advertise on social media. For example, you can create a Facebook ad for your business by going into the advertisement manager and setting up an account.
There you will be able to choose where you want people in this demographic area around your location to see it (such as within ten miles of my zip code).
PRO TIP: Tell them about the free estimates that your company offers
You can also create an Instagram ad by going to the “Ads” section of your profile and choosing from various ads, such as carousel or slideshow format.
PRO TIP: Put up photos that are eye-catching so people will stop scrolling through their feed and want to click on yours
Twitter is a good place to talk about your latest work and provide links. You can also create an ad, which will allow you to choose the area where people in this demographic will be able to see it (such as within ten miles of my zip code).
PRO TIP: Tweet often because Twitter users are more likely not to follow you if your posts are too sporadic.
BONUS: If you want to be putting more time into social media, maybe it’s time to hire somebody who can do that for you.
Create referral cards for clients
Referral cards are just like business cards that empower past clients and allow them to refer you to friends and family. However, these cards can have a perforated edge to be easily torn off and handed out.
- Give potential clients the card with your contact information on it when you give them an estimate or drop off their freshly painted home.
Remember, if you ask someone for a referral they are more likely to do so if they have a reminder. That is why it is important to have the card on hand when you are doing estimates.
- To make sure that your new client doesn’t forget about their referral, use a call to action at the end of the estimate. Get creative with your call to action and make it something that will stand out. For example, “Could I tell you about our referral program? It is free!” or “I would love to put a few of these cards in an envelope for you.”
- Visit Pinterest for some good ideas. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Referral%20Cards
Provide free shirts with your logo to employees
Custom shirts are another great way to advertise your business. You can put a logo on the back of it, have everyone’s name printed on the front, or go for something more creative. This way clients and passersby can see your logo while you are working on the job.
- Use a logo for your business as the central graphic on shirts. This is an easy, affordable way to spread awareness of who you are and what service/product you offer. On the back, put a personal message or slogan.
- Buy bulk orders of custom T-shirts in advance to save more money.
- Put your logo on the back of shirts and give them to employees as a way to keep morale high. That, plus it’s free advertising for you!
- Use slogans like “Painters Do It in Sprays.” This is an easy way to advertise what service or product you offer with some humor at the same time.
Add graphics or magnets to work vans and trucks
A great way to improve the looks of your work van or truck is by adding graphics and magnets. This will allow you to stand out among other companies with a generic-looking vehicle.
The cost for graphic design can vary depending on what type of graphics and magnet you want, but it’s easy enough to figure out how much they’ll be if you get in touch with a designer or marketing firm like Fusion.
You can also paint your company’s name on the side of each truck if you are trying to save money.
Leave flyers around town
A great way to reach new customers is through flyers. You can leave these around town, or you can keep some stacks of them at the front desk of your business. This will allow people looking for a painting company to find one that’s close by and easily accessible. It also allows those who are moving or painting their home to find the right company for them. (that’s you!).
Here are some tips to keep in mind when it comes to flyers:
- Flyers should be professionally designed and written. Avoid using the web-based photo editor that came with your computer because these don’t look good or professional. Instead, stick to a design program like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc., or hire someone skilled in design to create one for you.
- Flyers can be single or double-sided and printed on paper that is at least 80lbs or higher. It’s better if the bottom is cut because there will be a little border of white hanging down below the flyer, which can make it look cheap.
Offer discounts to the right groups
As a painting company, you want to make sure that your business reaches all of the potential clients out there. But with so many other companies in the same field, how do you stand out?
Well now there’s an easy and free way for you to find new customers: exclusive discounts!
Part of marketing is building a community. Consider offers like:
- Free paint for teachers in exchange for an email address and name (local business)
- Offer up to 50% off on interior painting services when homeowners sign up with your preferred energy provider
- Offer free estimates on exterior services, including roofing or siding
- Offer discounts to your church or child’s school where people may want to support someone they see regularly.
Join a local networking group
So you’re a painting company and want to grow your business? Join a local networking group! “But why?” I can hear you asking.
Well, think about it. You get the chance to meet new people in your industry, share ideas with other painters interested in growing their business like you are, and learn from seasoned experts who have been doing this for years.
Plus, you can earn industry discounts and coupons that will help grow your business.
You might also like: 9 Reasons to Network in your Community
So join a local networking group today!
No matter which one you choose to attend, be sure to go with an open mind and don’t forget your business cards! You never know where this might lead you in the future.
You’ve been looking for marketing ideas, but you don’t know where to start. There’s a lot of information out there and it can be hard to find the right solution for your business. But we’re here to help!
Let us know what type of marketing ideas you want–we have plenty to offer!–and we’ll chat about how they may work well with your residential painting company needs.
We’re happy to answer any questions that come up as well so feel free contact us if you would like more info on different options in more detail.